Air Force History Quiz
1. In the legendary Berlin Airlift from 1948-49, approximately how many sorties were flown?
2. Who is the U.S. Air Force's all-time leading ace?
A. Don M. Beerbower
B. Edward V. Rickenbacker
C. Richard I. Bong
D. Robert W. Aschenbrener
3. Who's the Air Force's top ace in the jet age?
A. Manuel J. Fernandez
B. Joseph C. McConnell
C. Richard S. Ritchie
D. Randell H. Cunningham
4. How many U.S. Presidents have served in the U.S. Air Force?
5. One of the Air Force's most revolutionary aircraft, the F-117 is often thought to use aerodynamics originally discovered studying:
A. Children's paper airplane creations
B. Migrating Monarch butterflies
C. Floating dandelion seeds
D. The common bumblebee
6. When did Jeannie Leavitt become the Air Force's first female fighter pilot?
7. Who is often considered the 'father' of the Air Force?
A. William J. Donovan
B. William "Billy" Mitchell
C. Jimmy Doolittle
D. Curtis LeMay
8. What type of plane was the first official Air Force One?
A. Boeing 747 (VC-25)
B. Boeing 707 (VC-137)
C. C-54 Skymaster
D. Lockheed Constellation
9. Actor Jimmy Stewart ("It's a Wonderful Life") retired with what Air Force rank?
A. Lieutenant Colonel
C. Brigadier General
D. Major General
10. The Air Force is the same age (and shares a birthday with) what other governmental organization?
Watermarks - An intriguing article from Doug McGill at APS. It talks about the purpose and origin of watermarks on stamps. Click here to read this article.
HALIFAX, PA — Today, the Postal Service issued four new Presorted Standard stamps featuring patriotic rural scenes. These Flags on Barns stamps are intended for business mail and are sold in self-adhesive coils of 3,000 and 10,000. The flag is a symbol of endurance and hope, and barns reflect farming culture that allowed the country to grow and thrive. Together, these two iconic images depict the best of rural America. Click here to visit this web site.
The Chinese 1902 Coiling Red Dragon Postage Stamp
Celebratory Chinese Stamps Depicting The Four Seasons Of The Year.
What happens during the vernal equinox?
This year, the first day of spring, the Vernal Equinox, occurs on March 20th at 11:33 am in the Northern Hemisphere. Vernal Equinox occurs when the tilt of the Earth's rotational axis reaches a particular position. We're all aware of the imaginary axle the Earth spins around once every 24 hours.
The Christian celebration of Easter is always on the first Sunday after the first full moon that follows the Vernal Equinox. ... So there you go – in 2022 the first full moon after the 21 March is Saturday 16 April, hence Easter is on Sunday 17 April. “Iesus Nazarenus, Rex Iudaeorum,”
Passover - Friday, April 15th to Saturday April 23rd. Passover, also called Pesach, is a major Jewish holiday that celebrates the exodus of the Israelites from slavery in Egypt, which occurs on the 15th day of the Hebrew month of Nisan, the first month of Aviv, or spring.
To all our collectors
For many Jews, the process of preparing for Passover involves cleaning every corner of the home and removing all leavened products, known as chametz. Some Jews practice biur chametz (burning chametz).
Others keep all the chametz in a separate area of the house where it won’t be seen, and symbolically sell the chametz. This can be done through a local synagogue, and chametz is usually sold for a nominal amount of money (often a few coins). Many Jews have special Passover dishes that are only used once a year during the holiday.